Attitude checks are tough little buggers. Undertaking one
isn’t as simple as giving yourself a swift kick in the butt or blinking your eyes and bobbing your
head I Dream of Jeannie style. No,
attitude checks are exercises of the heart and mind.
Vigilance and diligence are the name of their game.
Pardon the cliché, but there’s no sleeping on the job with attitude checks. As
when steering a car, you must be constantly aware, making adjustment for even
the slightest bump or bend in the road. And (to commit the same writing faux
pas), there’s no rest for the weary. Attitude checks don’t care if you’re
having a day to rival Alexander’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
They don’t care if you’re tired, sick, stressed, PMSing, or (fill in the
blank). They don’t care if you’ve been knocked down for the 10th time or the
24th time. Attitude checks are relentless taskmasters that are oblivious to
everything.
So why do them?
I do them because I like to think that what’s on the
other side will be worth it.
I like to think that as I slog up the monstrous hills
that are usually my attitude checks, I’ll shed more than sweat and gain more
than lungs screaming for oxygen and legs turning to rubber. I like to think
that I’ll gain assurance from the ravines my path dips through, confidence from
the gravelly patches I hesitantly cross, wisdom from the sections I backtrack
through, strength from the obstacles I quash, and a new outlook from the behaviors
and perspectives I shed along the way. I like to think that when I reach the
pinnacle, I’ll be a better person—someone who’s better equipped to handle what
life throws at me. Bad days will still happen, feelings are what keep us from
becoming an “evolved” version of the human race that tries to take over the world, and problems don’t
ever go away. But I like to think that what I gain from my attitude checks will
allow me to approach these things with greater poise and handle them with
greater grace.
I like to think.
No comments:
Post a Comment