About Me

My photo
If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it. -- Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Women's Day

This year marks my first Mother’s Day. As we’ve struggled to start our family the last three years, I’ve wondered what this day would finally “feel” like once—if—we finally got there. As I sit here furiously clickity-clacking away on my laptop (64 minutes until the Tagalongs’ next care, 63 minutes, 62 minutes …) four days before the big day, I’m having a hard time viewing it as a special day. In my mind, it seems like any other Sunday.

I’m sure that exhaustion plays into part of this. The Tagalongs are on a three-hour schedule 24/7, so my sleep comes in rounds of naps that are rarely longer than an hour each. When you average two to three hours of sleep a night, it’s hard to muster up excitement for much of anything—except sleep.

I’m sure my Mother’s Day Wall plays an even bigger part. Three Mother’s Days passed during our IF journey—three Mother’s Days in which I clapped at church mothers’ recognitions with a glazed expression and clenched jaw and plastered a smile on my face during family get-togethers. In a twist of irony that would be included in an Alanis Morisette song, I spent last Mother’s Day going through my second, and what would turn out to be last, egg retrieval. I sent out the requisite “Happy Mother’s Day!” texts and then avoided social media like the plague as I lay in bed wondering if the seven eggs my RE had retrieved were turning into tiny humans. I spent three years setting up a wall that would make Mother’s Day hurt less, so I imagine that taking it down won’t happen in one day.

And it’s the Mother’s Day Wall that makes me want to make this day not about celebrating my first Mother’s Day but about celebrating women—particularly those who won’t celebrate Mother’s Day this year despite desperately wanting to. I’d like to dedicate my first Mother’s Day to the women who are donning an unflattering hospital gown and surgery hat as they shake back egg-retrieval jitters. To the women who have “mom” written on their heart but don’t officially bear the title yet. To the women who aren’t sure they’ll ever bear that title. To the women who’ve mourned the loss—any loss—of a child. To the women who choose not to have children—you have a special kind of brave that I admire and respect. To women everywhere, regardless of motherhood status …

I don’t mean to take away from what Mother’s Day is about. Having worn the shoes of motherhood for 14 weeks, I think moms definitely deserve their own day (or several). However, I also know that Mother’s Day can be a difficult holiday for some, a holiday that alienates them from a group they long to be in. I’ve felt that alienation, that pain and frustration and anger, and I don’t want to be a source of it for others.

So Happy Women’s Day to you and yours.

Note:
A friend sent me the following blog post around this time last year. It got the writing wheels turning in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment