My cats have had a rough two weeks. No wait, hear me out—I
promise this isn’t a post about my cats … entirely.
When The Hubs and I bought this “mansion” of a house 4½
years ago, we knew we wouldn’t fill it all ourselves, but we felt called to
open it up to family and friends who might need a place to crash for a few
days, a few weeks, a few months, or even a few years. So we bought the house
with that intent … and The Caller got to work. Since then, we’ve had three
roommates grace our home and countless other family and friends cross our
threshold as they’ve needed, and next weekend, we’ll welcome in our fourth
roommate. This roommate is a little special, though. He'll stay significantly
longer than any of our previous roommates and require significantly more
care.
Taking in this new roommate has required some big changes
around the house, changes that really didn’t affect our cats, Scout and Nala,
until two weeks ago. The litter box move came first, and it was a nonevent met
with more confusion than anything else (Approaching
old litter box space and not seeing a litter box. “I could have sworn …” Lightbulb goes on. “Oh that’s right! I
get to do my business in this big closet over here!” Scampers off.) Then came the food and water bowl move. This raised
the something-fishy’s-going-on-and-we-don’t-know-what red flags. Scout and Nala
started moving with more caution in their steps, staying closer to “Mom” and “Dad,”
and dragging their security blanket around the house more. Then last week came.
Our new roommate needs to live downstairs, so we had to
kick our current roommate out of his cushy digs and shove him into a room
upstairs … a room that Scout had claimed as her “domain.” I was at work when
the territory’s conquest occurred, but the tales recounted later say that Scout
didn’t go down without a fight. The little spitfire apparently sat outside the
room hissing at the usurper every time he carried a load of his stuff in and batting
at him every time he tried to soothe her with pets. By the time I got home
several hours later, she had (very) begrudgingly waved her white flag and was
curled into a ball in the corner of the office, glaring out at the world like
it had betrayed her.
It broke my heart to see her react this way, but as I
reflected on it, it occurred to me that I myself don’t act all that differently
when faced with significant change. I’m a creature of habit, and when my world
is turned upside down for reasons I don’t understand (and sometimes reasons I
do understand), I generally face my circumstances with a heavy dose of cynicism
laced with a tinge of pessimism and a pinch of self-destructiveness. I have my
own way of hissing and batting that can last anywhere from a few short hours to
several days. I definitely don’t approach change with “pure joy.”
But I’m a work in progress, and although I’ve come a long
way from how I used to handle significant change (a heavy dose of undiluted
self-destructiveness), seeing how my little furry mini-me has been handling
this whole change thing has made me realize that I still have a ways to go in
making progress with my own approach. I need to more readily give up
control in faith and ask questions with a less grudging heart; I need to swallow
bitingly sarcastic remarks and replace them with prayers. I’m gritting my teeth
as I type these words because it’s a whole heck of a lot easier to don my armor
and put up my defensive walls than it is to relinquish control and go with the
flow, trusting that things will turn out as they’re meant to. But life isn’t
always about trodding the easy path. In fact, it’s often about going down the
unbeaten road that has been less traveled by. That’s the path that produces
perseverance, which, if left to finish its work, results in a mature, complete
person. And ultimately, I’d rather be someone who rolls with the punches than
the person who comes out swinging.
No comments:
Post a Comment